My Verse

Isaiah 43:1

"But now, thus says the Lord, your Creator, O Jacob, and He who formed you, O Isreal, "Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are Mine!"

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Experiments

What I love most about Caeli's science this year, is the experiments! There are several small easy ones, and a few more in depth ones. In the first lesson, Caeli was learning the importance of experiments; to test theories. She peeled two apples (with my help of course) and then put one in a preserving mixture of salt and baking soda, and the other she left out.






I think some air still got to the apple in the mixture, it still turned a dark brown, but at least there was no mold.

Today we finished up the project that Caeli has been wanting to do since we started school. Edible Cell! This week we have been learning about the parts that make up a cell, she is doing so good, and the book (Apologia Science), explains it so well! She drew her own cell in her science journal, but today, using candy and jello we made our own cell!

The Ingredients: Candy
Jello
Gelatin
Jelly Beans
Skittles
Twizzlers
Cake Sprinkles
Fruit Roll Ups
Smarties
Chocolate Truffles
They all sorts of options, but I let Caeli choose what she wanted to use.
Can anyone say sugar rush?


The Jello mold!



And the final result:



Okay, so they didn't exactly turn out looking like cells, but Caeli knew what each piece of candy represented, and we had fun doing it! Alylvia even did her own. Now, they are begging to eat them!

2 comments:

Traci said...

Wow. I'm thoroughly impressed! You GO, Momma! =)

wiffleball_legend said...

I'm so glad you are teaching them! I must say the aftermath was a bit disgusting. I love you!