My Verse

Isaiah 43:1

"But now, thus says the Lord, your Creator, O Jacob, and He who formed you, O Isreal, "Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are Mine!"

Thursday, June 04, 2009

Discipleship: Getting ready for swimsuit season

Yes, I know the title is strange. But it was the best analogy I could think of last night, as I tried to make my flesh agree with my spririt, that discipleship is a good thing, and a needed thing. I guess it would be better to compare it to a runner preparing for a race, much like Paul does in 1 Corinthians 9.

24Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.
25Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. 26Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. 27No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.


But with it being summer time, I thought it best to use the swimsuit! Besides, it will help with explaining the need to expose ourselves to the Lord. Think about how exposed you feel when you put on a swimsuit!

So, every year I go into a frenzied diet mode, trying to get ready for the coming swimsuit season. I research diets, excercises, and all other ways to lose that winter weight. But, when it comes to my spritual health, I do not seek out the knowledge of those who are able to help me. God has been telling me about counting costs, dying to self, and sacrifice, and while the words were hard to swallow at times, I continued to say "Yes, Lord." This week, it was brought to me that I need to put myself under certain women in the church, for...discipleship. And instantly my flesh said, "Wait, no way am I going to sit and be told what to do." For those who truely know me, you know I'm stubborn to the core, and don't like being told what to do. Even if it is right and good, I still don't like being told. I want to figure it out for myself. I guess I'll need to count that cost!

God clearly told me that this was coming. And even yesterday He took me to Proverbs 15.

5A fool rejects his father's discipline,
But he who regards reproof is sensible.

12A scoffer does not love one who reproves him,
He will not go to the wise.

And the clincher...

31He whose ear listens to the life-giving reproof
Will dwell among the wise.
32He who neglects discipline despises himself,
But he who listens to reproof acquires understanding.
33The fear of the LORD is the instruction for wisdom,
And before honor comes humility.

So, I'm getting ready for a spiritual swimsuit season! Lord help me to have a heart that is like fertile soil, and that I will listen to instruction and be obedient to Your word, life-giving reproof. To be humble, to be moldable, so that I can be usable.

1 comment:

wiffleball_legend said...

Wonderful analogy! I hope you continue to get ready for "swimsuit season"