My Verse

Isaiah 43:1

"But now, thus says the Lord, your Creator, O Jacob, and He who formed you, O Isreal, "Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are Mine!"

Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Faith, Worth More Than Gold

1 Peter 1:6-7


In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed.


Worth (n) - excellence of character or quality as commanding esteem, usefulness or importance, as to the world, to a person, or for a purpose, value, a quantity of something of a specified value, wealth; riches; property or possession



Faith. I read the above scripture yesterday for the second time. I had read it earlier and even put it in my last blog, but I didn't really pay that much attention to the part about faith being a greater worth than gold. Not until yesterday. And now I find myself thinking about what the faith in my own life. Do I know the usefulness or importance of faith in my life, it's purpose in my life, and it's value in my life? Faith has worth, an excellence of quality. Do I pocess faith in such a way that it is an excellent quality?


When I seem to go through "various trials" my first reaction is not to praise God, as I confessed in my previous post. I don't rely on my faith. Instead I do the complete opposite. For a long time now, I have struggled with having faith, I have put worth in my own works. And to that God says...

Psalm 127:1-2

"Unless the LORD builds the house, they labor in vain who build it; unless the LORD guards the city, the watchman keeps awake in vain. It is vain for you to rise up early, to retire late, to eat the bread of painful labors; or He gives to His beloved even in his sleep."

God, I cannot depend on my works or anything of this world any longer. When the trials come, and my life is tested, the only thing that will withstand is faith. Faith in You. That is faith is proven genuine, the real deal and results in the praise, glory, and honor of Jesus Christ; the One who saves. Just like Paul and Silas were praising You in the midst of the prison, it resulted in the jailer and his whole household being saved and giving you praise. Lord, I want the praise of You to be a part of who I am. Not something I have to force or practice or work at, but it is natural to praise you in all situations. That only comes when my faith is proven to be genuine.


No comments: