My Verse

Isaiah 43:1

"But now, thus says the Lord, your Creator, O Jacob, and He who formed you, O Isreal, "Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are Mine!"

Friday, January 09, 2009

Seeking

Matthew 6:33-34


"But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."


Remember what it was like to play hide and go seek as a kid? Excited, nervous, scared, but there was nothing greater than it. I remember once when I still really young, somewhere between 3 and 5. We were at a family reunion and all my cousins were outside playing hide and go seek. It was dark, and the only light was from the porch, which of course was base. I stood on the porch for long time watching everyone run around and screaming and chasing each other. I wanted to play but they weren't letting me. Until finally one of the older kids coaxed me off the porch. That was the most fun I remember having at a family reunion.

Matthew 13:44

"The kingdom of heaven is like a treasure hidden in the field, which a man found and hid again; and from joy over it he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field.

Imagine the excitement this man must have felt when he found a treasure hidden a field. But he went and hid it again, and sold all that he had so he could go and seek that treasure again. Do we seek God and His will, His kingdom, His light, like this man? Are we willing to wake up every morning with a new and revived desire and passion to seek Him like a treasure hidden a field.

I find that I am often too distracted by the day and what it holds. I'm thinking about what is going to happen further in the day, that night, and the next day. I am worrying about bills, my paycheck, I'm wasting time with the cares of this world. What would happen if I completely gave my day to the Lord everytime I woke up. From the moment my eyes opened to the moment they closed and even while I was sleeping. All that we need and can even think to ask for He has promised to provide. Earlier Matthew 6, Jesus tells us how we ought to pray, not as people worrying, but as people who trust in their God.

Matthew 6:7-13

"And when you are praying, do not use meaningless repetition as the Gentiles do, for they suppose that they will be heard for their many words. So do not be like them; for your Father knows what you need before you ask Him. Pray, then, in this way:

'Our Father who is in heaven, hallowed be Your name. Your kingdom come Your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from evil.'"

No comments: