My Verse

Isaiah 43:1

"But now, thus says the Lord, your Creator, O Jacob, and He who formed you, O Isreal, "Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are Mine!"

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Falling off the Lent Wagon

So, two whole weeks have now passed. How’s everyone doing? Me? Well, I’ll admit it has been tough! Having caffeine withdrawals is no fun, and even worse when you’re waiting in lines at Six Flags.

But my question is this: What happens if you forget, or give in to temptation? Does that mean that Lent is over for you? Do you beat yourself up?

Caeli, my oldest daughter, decided to participate along with me, and gave up sodas for Lent. On Sunday, last week, she enjoyed her Root Beer, but when Monday rolled around, she had forgotten about Lent. She came to me, “Momma, I forgot about Lent, and I drank a soda! What do I do?”

Lent is about remembering, remembering that we are fallen, in desperate need of a savior. It’s about being mindful of what Jesus did, the sacrifice that paid our debt. So, you’ve failed. You gave in to temptation. You forgot for a brief moment. Do you think this surprises God? Is He put off by your weakness? All of this makes the season even more beautiful! When we are weak, God is strong, stronger!

I encourage, don’t quit because of your weakness. Confess your weakness, rely on His strength. Don’t condemn yourself for falling short, remember that you were redeemed because you could not pay the debt yourself.

No comments: