My Verse

Isaiah 43:1

"But now, thus says the Lord, your Creator, O Jacob, and He who formed you, O Isreal, "Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are Mine!"

Wednesday, March 09, 2011

The Lenten Season for this Once Charismatic-turned-Baptist-now-Reformed Baptist girl

How’s that for a title? Hehe!

So last year, I decided that when Lent rolled around again, I was going to participate. I’m excited about preparing for Easter Sunday, the celebration of The Resurrection.

So today marks the beginning of Lent, Ash Wednesday. What does that mean? How do you participate in something like that? So I did some researching.

To me, it seems that today is about remembering why Jesus endured the cross. Most priests will say, as they are crossing foreheads with ashes, “Remember, O man that you are dust, and to dust you will return”. We are sinful, and today, Ash Wednesday, is about remembering that, and asking God to show you your sins, on order that you may confess them. God’s word clearly states that when we confess our sins, He is faithful to forgive us.

Mark 1:15 is also quoted, “Repent, and hear the good news.”. So it's not just a somber guilt filled day, but it is a reminder that though we are sinful, Jesus bore our punishment. On of my favorite hymns says this:

Because the sinless Savior died My sinful soul is counted free. For God the just is satisfied To look on Him and pardon me.

So, I begin the season of Lent. Yes, I am giving something up. I’m actually giving up a few things.

Caffeine, because I am so dependent on it to just get through the day. I want to be more dependent on God and His word to get me through the day. Probably gonna switch to decaf coffee to see if I can trick my brain!

Carbonated drinks, and anyone who knows me, knows that I am addicted to diet Coke and Diet Dr. Pepper. And I think giving up something that has so much control in my life is fitting. My life should be controlled by the Spirit, not by the desires of my flesh.

Psalm 139:1 You have searched me, LORD, and you know me.

Psalm 139:23-24 Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.BlogBooster-The most productive way for mobile blogging. BlogBooster is a multi-service blog editor for iPhone, Android, WebOs and your desktop

No comments: