My Verse

Isaiah 43:1

"But now, thus says the Lord, your Creator, O Jacob, and He who formed you, O Isreal, "Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are Mine!"

Friday, March 11, 2011

My Journey Through Lent

“The season of Lent is puzzling to many. Denying ourselves our favorite treats or habits-even for a short time-seems archaic in our I-want-it-now culture. Lent is a plodding, definitive crescendo that leads ip to Good Friday and the gorgeous aria of Easter. It’s a season marked by deliberateness and intentionality.”(From “Devotions for Lent”)

Psalm 51:17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit,A broken and a contrite heart— These, O God, You will not despise.

I think most people will not understand why me, a non-catholic, would participate in Lent. Even my own daughter exclaimed “But we aren’t Catholic”, as I tried to explain it to her. But reading today’s devotion solidified in my heart the need to understand sacrifice. Most of my life has been focused on me. Even my spiritual walk tends to circle around what God is doing in, around, and for me. I want my eyes, and my heart to be opened and awakened to God’s will. Not God’s will for my life, just what God is doing all over. Jesus was here, as He said, doing His father’s business. He didn’t seem concerned with “Is this God’s will for me”, His view was always on the end result.

Matthew 6:33a But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness

No comments: